Sunday, July 30, 2006

SAVING THE WORLD, ONE STITCH AT A TIME...

It all started a few weeks ago...

Long time friend Mina asked me around to hang out at her house - what has quickly become a Sunday tradition. "Help me do some knitting," she implored.

(Yes. Yes. I know what you're thinking. We're in our 20's and we knit. We must be sad and pathetic.)

...

(You're probably right.)

I arrived, an array of knitting needles on hand. (Yes, I have an array. A collection if you will.) I cast on, (32 stitches) and the work began.

Now, a sensible person would have enquired as to why they were spending a Sunday helping a dear friend knit. This notion didn't take me until the project was underway. Apparently, the few lines of cheap, acrylic yarn (classy) on my needle was something of a noble notion. It was charity. It was giving. It was a knitted rug for World Vision to be sent to Mongolia.

I scoffed at this project. Belittled it. It was going to end up looking like it came from a third world country. And it's my understanding that these Mongolians can sew and embroider exquisitely. Why not buy them a Bond's doona? It's Australian, it provides warmth and the people receiving it won't be inclined to either laugh or feign gratitude. And to add insult to injury, the rug has a deadline. Speaking of which...


I had better stop blogging.

I had better get back to knitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home