Sunday, October 22, 2006

TIME TO GET BACK IN THE WATER

I went scuba diving today.

I used to try to go quite regularly, but haven't been since before I split up with MC. So a few weeks ago, I was walking past a ProDive shop and wandered in. Next thing I knew, I had signed up to go diving again.

So I woke up early this morning, to go diving at a location called The Steps. I stared down at the makeshift, muddy, steep, sandstone steps at the top of the cliff to reach the dive spot and thought to myself "How in the world am I going to get down those damn things with all my extra shit (over 30 frickin' kilograms worth) without -a) falling over and making a complete ass of myself b) slipping, knocking my head and plunging into a watery grave?"

Fortunately, the wind was making a big rip in the area, so we couldn't go.

(HUGE sigh of relief. Because if I did somehow manage to get down the steps without killing myself, surely my luck wouldn't hold out to have me survive the trip back up.)

So instead, we went to nicely protected Camp Cove in Watson's Bay. And it was great.

Well, it wasn't great, but it was good to go diving again after such a long time. Mind you, there's absolutely fuck all to see. The odd fish, numerous jelly blubbers (the type you stick down people's boardies - or is that just me?), a dead lobster (wow!), sea urchins, a few cuttlefish (now they actually happen to be very cool), and a flatworm that totally freaked out when I touched it and then afterwards proceeded to play dead like some possums do. (It was playing dead - no I didn't kill it, all I did was touch it, and besides, I waited a while and then when it thought no one was watching, it started to move around again.)



Anyway, I realise this is a fairly boring post (yeah - and your other ones aren't??) but I'm pretty excited. I'm going to go again in a few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home