Friday, December 15, 2006

PUS EQUALS PLEASURE

Incision and drainage.

Like busting a pimple but ever so much more satisfying.

A patient comes in to re-treat a root canal another dentist buggered up. She complains it's incredibly sore and now she also has swelling.

I look at the swelling. I prod it. It's squishy.

"R...get me a scalpel." We both visibly tremble with excitement.

The scalpel slices into the swelling like a hot knife through butter, until it hits bone. And the pus - it pours!!!

R and I exchange looks over the patient - looks that convey sheer joy.

Man, I love my job sometimes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

My assistant doesn't like pus flying around the room. I popped an intraoral pustule the other day and it squirted me on the head.

Pretty nasty.

12:07 AM  
Blogger looking_down said...

Mr. Ameloblast, your blog is fabulous and absolutely terrifying. Mostly because it reminds me how tiny tiny tiny my endo knowledge is. God I hate endo. I look forward to never ever having to do another one again. Exos for everyone!

What? I'm meant to be writing about Kissaki? Sorry. The other day in the ER I had a patient with a facial swelling from a carious 45. I knew it was going to suppurate, but my nurse at the time was abit efficiency-challenged and by the time she had set up the slow speed suction set up I already had the tooth out. Pus everywhere. And the smell was like a slap in the face. Muchos satisfying.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will some day understand what is is that women find satifying in squeezing pimples. That day, I'll write a thesis about it and probably win some sort of award. After all, it has puzzled mankind since the beginning of time.

Women are strange.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Kissaki said...

Women are strange.

Women who are dentists are stranger.

And women who are dentists who take great satisfaction from seeing rivers of pus flow from areas of infection are the strangest of them all.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home