Thursday, February 28, 2008

OKAY, SO THE STORY SO FAR:

I bought this little 2 surgery practice in Sydney's snobby Eastern Suburbs. It's in a great location and the practice has been there for 15 years.

I bought it from a dentist who had owned it for 2 years. I'll call her Mrs Whippy.

Mrs Whippy has a husband who's training to be a maxillofacial surgeon, and is currently studying medicine. She's in her early 30's and has 5 kids, though I have just heard she's pregnant with her 6th. They're very religious people.

Anyway, before the purchase, I took stock of all the instruments and counted everything and noted there was a giant broken dental chair in the garage that was obviously trash. Mrs Whippy asked me if I was interested in buying her stock. I looked through the stock cupboards and counted the boxes of materials and agreed to pay her asking price of $2500.

The day of the purchase rolled around, I handed her a giant cheque for more money that ever I have seen in my life and proceeded to explore *my new business*.

I decided to rearrange the stock cupboard.

On turning the boxes around, I realised everything had expired in 2005.

I also realised that all the surgical equipment, local anaesthetic, stationary, pens, toothpaste, folders, stamps, envelopes had been cleaned out.

I also realised that the broken dental chair which I had asked her to remove was still there.

I rang her.

Her response: "It's not my problem. Why don't you just deal with it?"

I have also realised in the past 3 and a half months since seeing the very few patients that remain loyal to the practice, that she ripped a great deal of them off and did shithouse, dodgy work.

She also told the remianing staff member that I would fix up the wages that Mrs Whippy owed her.

I'm trying to resurrect this place, but it's damn hard.

She left a whole bunch of framed ugly photos or flowers on the wall that belong to her aunt that she was trying to sell, and before the sale I agreed that when I no longer needed them to dress the walls I would give them back to her.

Should I give them back to her or sell them down at Bondi markets?

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Unfortunately, what you're going through is the state of affairs for many dentists on the receiving end of a practice. And you would think that being orthodox or ultra religious, they would be different. Not so in my experience.

I feel for you, but know that what you're having to go through is extremely common and in the end you will make the practice work and be what you want it to be. Anything worthwile takes time and energy, (money) and work.

At times you'll almost wish to give everything up and be an associate again...

I wouldn't give the artwork back. Tell her you're still using it. Ebay is a great place to get rid of "antiques".

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm really not. Unfortunately this sort of thing does occur.

I say don't give the junk/antiques back, but just sell them for whatever you can get for the "treasures". :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hold the pictures ransom! if she doesnt re-emburse you for selling you expired materials then you have every right to keep those pictures.

(people are bastards aren't they? so much for love and care in the dental fraternity esp with your boss as well...)

good luck with everything! It's a good pracitioner that makes a practice not the location or the history.

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable - these are the situations that make you hope that karma will pay these people back. I say do what you want with the artwork - or trade her for the instruments she took.

I'm glad you're blogging again!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

welcome back, i was wondering where you went! sounds like a ton-o-drama.

you're inspiring me to resurrect my own blog. just got to get the motivation to start typing....

4:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You mean I haven't been inspiring enough with my blog?

6:17 AM  
Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

no, ameloblast, you got me into the facebook junk, remember?

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home